We know what an important step is the decision to send your child to get higher education overseas. It seems that your child will never get used to a different cultural environment, climatic conditions, language, food, people… However, think about prestigious profession and Russian degree of state university which is internationally recognized, and temporary challenges such as the cultural adaptation in new country will easily turn into exciting advantages. At the end of the day this is what you have always dreamed about and for what your child aspired conquering the most complex sciences in school. On this page we would like to give some tips on how to help your child and yourself to pass through the period of adaptation. We will also provide here the information which could be useful and interesting for the parents of our students.
2. Let your child make his/her first mature choice to start an independent life. We recommend you to let your child make his/her own decision on the choice of the future profession and university where he/she wants to study. It will assure high motivation and responsibility for the success in studies. Check, however, that the choice of the profession is based on intellectual passion, not immediate emotion. The future profession should be chosen taking into consideration requirements of employment market, as well as prospects of economic development of your country in the coming years. Do not forget, however, about child’s personal abilities and preferences. From our experience, the students who have successfully finished the school, do not always succeed in their studies at university, if the choice of specialty was made by their parents and not by themselves. At the same time very often the students who studied in school at medium level, are very successful at the University as they are motivated in mastering the course they like and passionate about acquiring their future profession.
3. Listen and reassure. Often, arriving in a foreign country, the children feel overwhelmed. They fear they have made a wrong choice and they start calling their parents. However, do not be afraid, just listen, reassure and encourage your child. Suggest asking for assistance of the “RACUS” representative, officials of the university or fellow students who have already adapted to the studies in
4. Discuss with your child lifestyle choices, clarify his/her attitude to alcohol before he/she comes to the university. The surveys show that the rates of alcohol abuse in institutions of higher education are not dramatically high. Nevertheless, nobody is insured of such challenges. Talk with your child about the values he/she determines in his/her behavior and in that of others, if he/she has ever resisted to somebody else’s will, temptations and defend his/her individuality. Try to help your child to properly arrange the priorities of lifestyle and discuss the questions of using of alcohol drinks and relationships with the opposite sex. It is necessary to warn the child that the use of alcohol and drugs etc. can cancel all his/her and your plans and hopes for successful future. Perhaps, to have such a conversation with your child will not be so pleasant; however, it will help him/her to avoid fatal false steps in adult life!
5. Inspire him/her with love to new knowledge! Explain your child that the education is not only a degree and pathway for the further job. Getting education is a fascinating experience during which he/she can discover many interesting things and encourage intellectual exploration. The participation not only in educational life, but also in social life of the university (organization of festivals of national culture, dance competitions etc.) will help your child to bring up the qualities of a leader and become responsible and independent. The knowledge is the main wealth in any country of the world!
6. Stay in touch, but not too much… It may be hard to reach your child by phone in the beginning. He/she will have classes at the university, the day schedule will change – every day except Sunday from to he/she will be busy in lecture halls. Moreover, the time difference between
7. Explain your child how to avoid unnecessary problems. Despite the fact that the safety in universities is provided at the appropriate level, the parents should talk with their child about precautions and personal safety rules applicable all over the world. Remind of the following important measures: not to leave personal assets unguarded, windows and doors of the room open; not to break the rules of accommodation in the hostel and not to leave it in night-time (from to ) and to observe the rules of the road safety. Create a plan of actions with your child in case of unforeseen situation (including natural disasters). These are elementary rules for any person all over the world. They are well-known but, unfortunately, not all of them are observed.
8. Tuition, hostel accommodation, life and health insurance fees. Do not forget that your child needs annual financial support for tuition, hostel accommodation, life and health insurance, nutrition and other minor expenses until he/she completes the studies in
Remember about the terms of the payment:
Payment for the 1st year of training is executed by bank transfer according to the invoice, which is sent to the student by “RACUS”. The payment should be made in full not later than 20 days before the student’s arrival to
Payment for the subsequent years of education:
1. Tuition fees can be paid via bank transfer prior to the beginning of the academic year, i.e. before September, 1st every year. It’s necessary to send an inquiry of “invoice” to e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org for that. Also the student may open a bank account in
2. It’s allowed to pay the tuition and accommodation fee in installments: 70% of the tuition and accommodation fee for the academic year – not later than 1st September and the rest 30% of the tuition and accommodation fee for the second term – up to 1st February. Life and health insurance fee is fully paid before the start of the academic year, before 1st September of each year.
Non-compliance with the deadlines of the payment of the tuition fees leads to the violation of rules of the registration and migration laws concerning the stay of foreign students on the
Expenses for personal needs.
The average costs per month for nutrition, transport, telephone calls are 250-300 USD. Certainly, everything depends on the needs of your child. If the child wishes and has money recourses he/she has the possibility to spend money on extra entertainment. In this case his/her expenses will increase considerably. However, we do not recommend sending too much money to avoid needless temptations as this directly affects the attendance and progress in general. Explain to your child that the main goal is the study, getting knowledge and higher education degree. Moreover, there are cases when the children spend the money received from their parents on other things without letting parents know. If you want to avoid such situations you can ask for the invoice in “RACUS” and transfer money which will be used to pay for the studies, accommodation and life and health insurance of your child. Money for personal expenses you can transfer him/her independently.
For the first year of studies you should give money to your child for purchasing some equipment and electrical appliances (notebook – 500-1000 USD, refrigerator – 200-300 USD, TV – 200-250 USD, electric kettle – 50-100 USD, microwave oven – 100-150 USD etc). Often students buy equipment and appliances dividing the charges among those who live in the room (2-3 persons).
9. Nutrition of your child in
For more than 20 years »RACUS» has been providing international students with professional assistance to get prestigious higher education at Russian state universities.
Annually international students from all countries of the world come to get higher education in Russia. What makes Russia such a popular study abroad destination?
We are glad to provide you with a wealth of choice from more than 200 medical, engineering, economic and humanities specialties.